He is the chair of the Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms (VCLA), speaker of the Doctoral Program Logical Methods in Computer Science (LogiCS), and scientific co-organizer of the Vienna Gödel Lectures.
Szeider has been the principle investigator of several research projects, including an ERC Starting Grant and projects from the EPSRC (UK), the Nuffield Foundation (UK), and the FWF (Austria). Szeider, whose Erdős Number is 2, has published over 100 articles in scientific journals and conference proceedings.
In his research, Szeider combines algorithmic and logic-based methods for the efficient solution of hard problems that arise in Artificial Intelligence, Automated Reasoning, and Combinatorial Optimziation, complemented by complexity-theoretic methods for establishing theoretical limits and lower bounds.
- Associate Editor of the Journal of Computer and System Sciences.
- Editor of the Journal of Discrete Algorithms.
- Editor of the Journal of Artficial Intelligence Research (JAIR).
- Editor of Fundamenta Informaticae.
- Guest editor of Algorithmica, Special Issue on Parameterized and Exact Computation, 2015.
- Co-editor of the Proceedings of IPEC 2013, 8th International Symposium, IPEC 2013, Sophia Antipolis, France, September 4-6, 2013, Revised Selected Papers, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 8246, Springer Verlag 2013.
- Co-editor of the Proceedings of COMMA 2012, the 4th International Conference on Computational Models of Argument. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications 245, IOS Press 2012.
- Co-editor of the Proceedings of SAT 2010, the 13th International Conference on Theory and Applications of Satisfiability Testing. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 6175, Springer Verlag 2010.
- Co-editor of the Proceedings of ACiD 2005, ACiD 2006, and ACiD 2007, the First, Second, and Third Workshop on Algorithms and Complexity in Durham, College Publications, London, 2005, 2006, and, 2007, respectively.
In Media and News
(Mostly in German)
- Informatik Austria, Informatiker der Woche, August 24, 2016
- Ö1 Radiokolleg, Die Macht der Prognosen, September 24, 2015
- profil.at Cover, Logik, die wichtigste Wissenschaft der Welt, July 7, 2014
- Ö1, Die Physikalische Soiree, Lösbarkeit von Problemen, January 7, 2013
- Fututurezone.at, Algorithmen Bestimmen unser Leben, February 8, 2012
- Der Standard, Intelligenz ohne Moral ist unlogisch, January 31, 2012
Invited Talks and Keynotes
- Invited speaker at the Gutin-60 Conference, Royal Holloway, University of London, January 7-8, 2017.
- Invited speaker at the Workshop on Theoretical Foundations of SAT Solving, The Fields Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, August 15 - 19, 2016.
- Invited keynote speaker at the International Workshop on Graph Structure and Satisfiability Testing, associate workshop of SAT 2016, Bordeaux, France, July 4, 2016.
- Invited tutorial speaker at IPEC 2014, the 9th International Symposium on Parameterized and Exact Computation, part of ALGO 2014, Wroclaw, Poland, September 10-12, 2014.
- Invited speaker at PCCR 2014, the 2nd Workshop on the Parameterized Complexity of Computational Reasoning, part of FLoC 2014, Vienna, Austria, July 17-18, 2014.
- Invited keynote speaker at IEEE-ICTAI 2013, the IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, Special Track on SAT and CSP Technologies, Washington, D.C., USA, November 4-6, 2013.
- Invited lecturer at SAT/SMT 2013, the Third International SAT/SMT Summer School 2013, Espoo, Finland, July 3-5, 2013.
- Invited speaker at APAC 2012, the first workshop on Applications of Parameterized Algorithms and Complexity, an affiliated workshop of ICALP 2012, Warwick, UK, July 8, 2012.
- Invited speaker at the workshop on Statistical Mechanics of Unsatisfiability and Glasses, Mariehamn, Finland, 23-26 May 2012.
- Invited tutorial speaker at LI 2012, the Logic and Interactions Winter School at CIRM, Marseille, France, 30 January - 2 March, 2012.
- Invited plenary speaker at INAP 2011/WLP 2011, The 19th International Conference on Applications of Declarative Programming and Knowledge Management, and The 25th Workshop on Logic Programming, Vienna, Austria, 28-30 September 2011.
- Invited plenary speaker at JFPC/JIAF 2011, the 7th French Conference on Constraint Programming and the 5th French Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Lyon, France, 8-10 June, 2011.
- Invited speaker at ARW 2009, the Automated Reasoning Workshop 2009, Department of Computer Science, University of Liverpool, UK, 21-22 April 2009.
- Program committee member of IPEC 2016, STACS 2016, SAT 2016, BeyondNP 2016, SAT 2015, ECAI 2014, SAT 2014, STAIRS 2014, ECAI 2014, ISAIM 2014, SAT 2013, QBF 2013, CP 2012 AAAI 2012, MEMICS 2012, SAT 2012, SAT 2011, NECTAR 2011, MFCS 2010, ISAIM 2010, NECTAR 2010, IWPEC 2009, IJCAI 2009, SAT 2009, CATS 2009, ASCW 2009, IWPEC 2008, AAAI 2008, SAT 2008, SAT 2007, SAT 2006, WADS 2005, SAT 2005.
- Co-organiser of the Workshop on Recent Trends in Knowledge Compilation, September 17-22, 2017, Schloss Dagstuhl, Wadern, Germany.
- Member of the steering committee of IPEC, the International Symposium on Parameterized and Exact Computation (2011-2015).
- Member of the steering committe of SAT, the International Conference on Theory and Applications of Satisfiability Testing (2010-2014).
- Senior program committee member of IJCAI 2016, the 25th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, New York City, NY, USA, July 9-15, 2016.
- Co-chair of the Symposium on New Frontiers in Knowledge Compilation, TU Wien, Vienna, Austria, June 4-6, 2015.
- Senior program committee member of IJCAI 2015, the 24th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, KR Track, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 25 July-1 August 2015.
- Workshop Chair of FLoC 2014, the Sixth Federated Logic Conference (FLoC 2014), July 12-24, 2014, as part of the Vienna Summer of Logic (VSL), the largest logic event in history, with over 2000 participants. FLoC 2014 hosted 74 workshops featuring over 800 talks and presentations.
- Program co-chair of IPEC 2013, International Symposium on Parameterized and Exact Computation, affiliated with ALGO 2013, September 4-6, 2013, Sophia Antipolis, France
- Co-chair of the First Symposium on Structure in Hard Combinatorial Problems, TU Wien, Vienna, Austria, May 16-18, 2013
- Senior program committee member of CP 2013, The 19th International Conference on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming, Uppsala, Sweden September 16-20, 2013.
- Senior program committee member of IJCAI 2013, The 23rd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence IJCAI-13, Beijing, China August 5-9, 2013.
- Conference co-chair of COMMA 2012, the Fourth International Conference on Computational Models of Argument, September 10-12, 2012, TU Wien, Vienna, Austria.
- Chair of WorKer 2011, the Third Workshop on Kernelization, September 2-4, 2011, TU Wien, Vienna, Austria.
- Chair of PCCR 2010, the first workshop on the Parameterized Complexity of Computational Reasoning, Satellite Workshop of the federated MFCS & CSL 2010 conference, Brno, Czech Republic, 28 August 2010.
- Co-chair of SAT 2010, Thirteenth International Conference on Theory and Applications of Satisfiability Testing, July 11-14, 2010, Edinburgh, UK, part of FLOC 2010, The Federated Logic Conference 2010.
|||The Complexity of Resolution with Generalized Symmetry Rules|
Theory Comput. Syst., volume 38, number 2, pages 171-188, 2005.
|||Backdoor Sets for DLL Subsolvers|
Journal of Automated Reasoning, volume 35, number 1-3, pages 73-88, 2005.
Note: Reprinted as Chapter 4 of the book SAT 2005 - Satisfiability Research in the Year 2005, edited by E. Giunchiglia and T. Walsh, Springer Verlag, 2006
|||Generalizations of matched CNF formulas|
Ann. Math. Artif. Intell., volume 43, number 1-4, pages 223-238, 2005.
|||Computing unsatisfiable k-SAT instances with few occurrences per variable|
Theoretical Computer Science, volume 337, number 1-3, pages 347-359, 2005.
Note: Supplementary material is available at https://www.ac.tuwien.ac.at/files/pub/HoorySzeider05.tar.gz
|||On Edge-Colored Graphs Covered by Properly Colored Cycles|
Graphs and Combinatorics, volume 21, number 3, pages 301-206, 2005.
Technische Universität Wien
Institut für Computergraphik und Algorithmen 186/1
|Room:||HC0401 (how to get there)|