The Algorithms and Complexity group is concerned with the development and analysis of efficient algorithms for hard computational problems that arise in practical applications, as well as the establishment of theoretical limits of algorithmic approaches.
In particular, the group considers problems arising in the areas of Combinatorial Optimisation, Artificial Intelligence, Automated Reasoning, Planning and Scheduling, Network Design, Cutting and Packing, Network Visualization, and Cartography.
Among the methods the group's research builds upon are mathematical programming techniques, satisfiability solving techniques, metaheuristics, graph algorithms, computational geometry, fixed-parameter algorithms, constraint-based methods, and machine learning.
Current Research Projects
- Revealing and Utilizing the Hidden Structure for Solving Hard Problems in AI (WWTF, ICT19-065)
- SAT Based Local Improvement (FWF P 32441)
- New Frontiers for Parameterized Complexity (FWF P31336)
- Human-centered Algorithm Engineering: Graph and Map Visualization (FWF P31119)
- Cooperative Optimization Approaches for Distributing Service Points (Collaboration with Honda Research Institute)
- Doctoral College Vienna Graduate School on Computational Optimization (FWF W1260)
- Large-Scale Radio Therapy Scheduling (Research Collaboration with MedAustron)
- Cycles on Graphs and Properties of Graphs with Special Cycle Structure (FWF P27615)
- Doctoral College Logical Methods in Computer Science (FWF W1255)
- Multi-Criteria Optimization of FTTx Networks (FFG I892-N23)
- Cutting and Packing Problems (cooperation with Eurosoft/Lodestar GmbH)
Completed Research Projects
- Variable Dependencies of Quantified Boolean Formulas (FWF P27721)
- Parameterized Compilation (FWF P26200)
- Balancing Bicycle Sharing Systems (FFG 831740)
- Optimization Challenges in the Future Federated Internet (WWTF ICT-10-024)
- Exploiting New Types of Structure for Fixed Parameter Tractability (FWF P26696)
- The Parameterized Complexity of Reasoning Problems (ERC 239962)
- Complete Solution Archives for Evolutionary Combinatorial Optimization (FWF P24660)
- Matheuristics: Hybrid Optimization Algorithms for Transportation Problems with Mutltiple Visits (FWF P20342)
Publications of the Algorithms and Complexity group can be found here.
Benchmark suites for various problems: Problem Instances